What to Know About Fuel Polishing Services
Fuel polishing is the process of filtering diesel fuel in storage tanks to eliminate contaminants. The process is also known as diesel cleaning services or diesel fuel polishing. The fuel polishing filtering process removes microbial particles, water, and off-road and on-road sludge well.
Fuel polishing is preferable as it needs no downtime. During the filtration process, the fuel system remains operational, resulting in a clean tank with clean fuel that functions as new. The cost of maintaining a fuel tank is relatively low compared to diesel fuel’s high price. Fuel polishing restores diesel’s quality that meets ASTM D975-10 standards.
Benefits of Fuel Polishing
- Gets rid of contaminants in the fuel and restores it to meet ASTM D975-10 acceptable standards for off and on-road diesel
- Polishing is less costly compared to complete fuel replacement.
- It increases the longevity of the fuel tank by getting rid of sludge buildup and preserving its interior.
- Polishing lets the fuel system remain online and needs no tank downtime during service.
The Process of Filtering Underground and Above Ground Fuel Tanks
Here is a proven process to follow for a successful fuel filtration that leads to fully polished and usable fuel that meets the standards of ASTM D975-10:
- Ensure you have the proven in-house filtration equipment to progress fuel in multiple filters.
- Take pre-filtration multiple fuels from the base for later comparison with the post-filtration fuel sample.
- Before beginning the filtering process, pump out any settled water at the bottom out.
- During the process, begin with a high filter level to eradicate heavy and large particulates.
- Cycle fuel back to the tank progressively through small sizes filter mesh depending on the size and amount of particulate impurities.
- The cycling process also eliminates any water at the bottom of the fuel tank.
- Suppress the growth of harmful algae and microbes by inserting an antimicrobial additive.
What are the Stages of Fuel Filtration?
- Removal of Large Particulates
- Fuel Filtration using a 25-Micron Filter
- Water Separation and Fuel Filtration using 5-Micron Filter
- Insertion of Antimicrobial Additive
- Testing the Polished Sample and Comparing it with the Pre-polished Fuel Composite
Why is it Essential to Remove Diesel Sludge?
Removal of Diesel is essential for integrity maintenance of fuel and the storage tank. Sludge has debris and impurities in the fuel that clog with time. When the congested debris combines with other fuel pollutants, they result in sludge buildup that falls out of the fuel and settles at the fuel tank’s bottom.
The Problems of Fuel Contamination
Fuel contamination has many problems.
- It deteriorates the inner tank condition.
- It damages generators’ diesel engines that provide automatic power during a blackout.
- When the contaminants are severe, it leads to total failure of power systems.
Types of Fuel Contamination
1. Particulate Contamination
Particulate contaminants can be rust, solid particles, soot, and dirt. When the particles build up, they can damage or clog engines.
2. Microbial Contaminants
They consist of yeast, organic matter, mold, and bacteria. They lead to corrosion and clogging fuel system filters.
3. Water Contamination
Water contamination in fuel consists of freestanding, dissolved, and emulsified water. They lead to pitting and corrosion of the inner tank.
Why Polish Diesel Fuel?
When the quality of diesel fuel is interfered with by toxins like chemicals, bacteria, and mold particles:
- It blocks the diesel engine and affects its performance.
- When it clogs fuel interjectors and systems, it affects the flow of fuel in cold weather.
- It will not operate effectively in diesel engine equipment and vehicles.
Markets that Require Fuel Polishing Services
Fuel polishing is an excellent solution for maintaining backup power systems like generators in commercial sectors. Many facilities prefer fuel polishing services as they need no downtime. Their fuel remains polished to meet ASTM standards, and during filtration, the systems remain online.
Necessary facilities like research, healthcare, transportation, and data storage depend on polishing services comprehensively as they inspect, install, clean and maintain their diesel fuel and storage tanks that power their backup systems.
For anyone with doubts and concerns about their fuel integrity that does not meet ASTM specifications or could result in problems, fuel polishing is the ideal solution that brings it back to the new.